REACTIONS TO THE RESURRECTION – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
REACTIONS TO THE RESURRECTION – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Part 2 of a 2 part series. The prequel, “Reactions to the Crucifixion”, can be done the same day or on Good Friday.)
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Mary and Peter compare their reactions to Jesus’ resurrection demonstrating their newfound faith.
TOPIC:
Resurrection, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Mt.26-28, Mk.14-16, Lk.22-24, Jh.18-21.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(11) MARY MAGDALENE – woman, new convert
(11) PETER - disciple
PROPS:
Bible era costumes.
SCRIPT:
(Mary and Peter step out on opposite sides and speak to each other, but look out to the congregation only.)
PETER:
Mary, dear Mary of Magdalene!
MARY:
Peter, it’s been a while. And your demeanor has changed.
PETER:
Indeed. I saw Him. Jesus has risen indeed.
MARY:
So, NOW you believe me?
PETER:
I did finally see Him for myself. And, I – apologize - for not believing you when you told us.
MARY:
I understand. When a few of us women went to Jesus’ tomb, and saw that the stone had been rolled away, we just assumed that the second earthquake had done that. But when we went inside, not only was the body of Jesus gone, there were angels there instead - who told us - He had risen.
PETER:
It was still difficult to believe what you all said, so I had to go, see for myself. I knew the Pharisees were keeping the tomb heavily guarded, but I only assumed someone had stolen the body. Even though Jesus told us, many times, that He was going to be crucified, and then rise again after three days.
MARY:
Funny how we can struggle with these things. Because, I don’t know why, but I struggled to believe what the angel had told us, so I went back to the tomb a second time, to mourn, and maybe find out where they took His body. Then, while I was there, a man asked me why I was crying. I looked right at Him, and still didn’t recognize Jesus. I suppose I wasn’t really looking, and just assumed He was the gardener. Until He said my name. THEN I saw it was Jesus. Words cannot express my joy!
PETER:
And yet, I still refused to believe you - or anyone else for that matter – that you had really seen Him - alive.
MARY:
Why do we take so long to believe? We all saw the miracles of Jesus. And we have always heard – that with God – all things are possible.
PETER:
We do limit ourselves when we depend on our OWN strength and our OWN understanding. The eleven of us kept hearing the news, but were only thinking about our own safety, because some people suspected us of stealing the body. Of course, when Jesus finally appeared to us, He reproached us for our unbelief and hardness of heart, because we had not believed any of you. We should have believed, simply because of what the prophets wrote in the scriptures! We were not looking at the bigger picture. We were not seeing that there was great purpose in His death.
MARY:
His death during the Passover feast – JESUS - was our sacrificial Lamb.
PETER:
The perfect spotless Lamb of God! His blood was shed to provide forgiveness to cover our sins – once and for all – no matter what we have done, no matter how we may have betrayed Him.
MARY:
And rising again to conquer death!... Because I repented and He forgave me, I HAD died with Him on that cross. And then, seeing Him alive – I realized - I have LIFE in Him.
PETER:
NOT only new life... ETERNAL life with Him. This is the way to God’s kingdom that He spoke about. It’s starting to all make sense. Jesus has sent us His Holy Spirit for guidance and understanding. To all believers, it is our assurance – so that we may KNOW... EVEN if someone has not witnessed Jesus in the flesh. We can enter into a personal relationship with Him, and enter into His kingdom with confidence.
MARY:
Why Peter, you’re speaking with such authority!
PETER:
There has been a change in my life. And while I have been a disciple with Jesus, and have seen countless miracles that He has done, this is the greatest miracle that I have ever witnessed, isn’t it?
MARY:
I have had the SAME experience. My life BEFORE Jesus, is NOTHING compared to what I have now with Jesus!
PETER:
Mine had been a life of self-reliance and pride, even though I was so wrong in my decisions and direction. My humbled, selfless life NOW has purpose, direction and true strength. There’s still room for growth, but I am saved from my life of sin. Hallelujah! There has been reconciliation and forgiveness. I am a new man - with a newness everyday.
MARY:
People need to know of this certain hope, that they can ALSO have this experience. But – now that Jesus has gone back to heaven, they cannot see Him in flesh –
PETER:
They will see this truth in our LIVES, not only when we speak His words of truth, but also how we LIVE these words of truth, ONLY because it is Jesus living in us. He is with us always!
MARY:
Hallelujah. Yes! He IS alive, and He still with us!
(PETER and MARY exit, each to their side.)
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Part 2 of a 2 part series. The prequel, “Reactions to the Crucifixion”, can be done the same day or on Good Friday.)
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Mary and Peter compare their reactions to Jesus’ resurrection demonstrating their newfound faith.
TOPIC:
Resurrection, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Mt.26-28, Mk.14-16, Lk.22-24, Jh.18-21.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(11) MARY MAGDALENE – woman, new convert
(11) PETER - disciple
PROPS:
Bible era costumes.
SCRIPT:
(Mary and Peter step out on opposite sides and speak to each other, but look out to the congregation only.)
PETER:
Mary, dear Mary of Magdalene!
MARY:
Peter, it’s been a while. And your demeanor has changed.
PETER:
Indeed. I saw Him. Jesus has risen indeed.
MARY:
So, NOW you believe me?
PETER:
I did finally see Him for myself. And, I – apologize - for not believing you when you told us.
MARY:
I understand. When a few of us women went to Jesus’ tomb, and saw that the stone had been rolled away, we just assumed that the second earthquake had done that. But when we went inside, not only was the body of Jesus gone, there were angels there instead - who told us - He had risen.
PETER:
It was still difficult to believe what you all said, so I had to go, see for myself. I knew the Pharisees were keeping the tomb heavily guarded, but I only assumed someone had stolen the body. Even though Jesus told us, many times, that He was going to be crucified, and then rise again after three days.
MARY:
Funny how we can struggle with these things. Because, I don’t know why, but I struggled to believe what the angel had told us, so I went back to the tomb a second time, to mourn, and maybe find out where they took His body. Then, while I was there, a man asked me why I was crying. I looked right at Him, and still didn’t recognize Jesus. I suppose I wasn’t really looking, and just assumed He was the gardener. Until He said my name. THEN I saw it was Jesus. Words cannot express my joy!
PETER:
And yet, I still refused to believe you - or anyone else for that matter – that you had really seen Him - alive.
MARY:
Why do we take so long to believe? We all saw the miracles of Jesus. And we have always heard – that with God – all things are possible.
PETER:
We do limit ourselves when we depend on our OWN strength and our OWN understanding. The eleven of us kept hearing the news, but were only thinking about our own safety, because some people suspected us of stealing the body. Of course, when Jesus finally appeared to us, He reproached us for our unbelief and hardness of heart, because we had not believed any of you. We should have believed, simply because of what the prophets wrote in the scriptures! We were not looking at the bigger picture. We were not seeing that there was great purpose in His death.
MARY:
His death during the Passover feast – JESUS - was our sacrificial Lamb.
PETER:
The perfect spotless Lamb of God! His blood was shed to provide forgiveness to cover our sins – once and for all – no matter what we have done, no matter how we may have betrayed Him.
MARY:
And rising again to conquer death!... Because I repented and He forgave me, I HAD died with Him on that cross. And then, seeing Him alive – I realized - I have LIFE in Him.
PETER:
NOT only new life... ETERNAL life with Him. This is the way to God’s kingdom that He spoke about. It’s starting to all make sense. Jesus has sent us His Holy Spirit for guidance and understanding. To all believers, it is our assurance – so that we may KNOW... EVEN if someone has not witnessed Jesus in the flesh. We can enter into a personal relationship with Him, and enter into His kingdom with confidence.
MARY:
Why Peter, you’re speaking with such authority!
PETER:
There has been a change in my life. And while I have been a disciple with Jesus, and have seen countless miracles that He has done, this is the greatest miracle that I have ever witnessed, isn’t it?
MARY:
I have had the SAME experience. My life BEFORE Jesus, is NOTHING compared to what I have now with Jesus!
PETER:
Mine had been a life of self-reliance and pride, even though I was so wrong in my decisions and direction. My humbled, selfless life NOW has purpose, direction and true strength. There’s still room for growth, but I am saved from my life of sin. Hallelujah! There has been reconciliation and forgiveness. I am a new man - with a newness everyday.
MARY:
People need to know of this certain hope, that they can ALSO have this experience. But – now that Jesus has gone back to heaven, they cannot see Him in flesh –
PETER:
They will see this truth in our LIVES, not only when we speak His words of truth, but also how we LIVE these words of truth, ONLY because it is Jesus living in us. He is with us always!
MARY:
Hallelujah. Yes! He IS alive, and He still with us!
(PETER and MARY exit, each to their side.)
Comments
Post a Comment