REACTIONS TO THE CRUCIFIXION – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
REACTIONS TO THE CRUCIFIXION – by Tanis Harms, © 2011
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Part 1 of a 2 part series. The sequel, “Reactions to the Resurrection”, can be done the same day or on Easter.)
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Mary and Peter compare their reactions to Jesus’ Crucifixion which demonstrates their lack of faith.
TOPIC:
crucifixion, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Mt.26-28, Mk.14-16, Lk.22-24, Jh.18-21.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(14) MARY MAGDALENE – woman, new convert
(14) PETER - disciple
PROPS:
Bible era costumes.
SCRIPT:
(Mary and Peter step out on opposite sides and speak to each other, but look out to the congregation only.)
PETER:
Mary of Magdalene!? Mary!
MARY:
Peter!
PETER:
I’ve been looking for– well- for any familiar face. I just need to know what all happened. I would have been there, you know, but, it would have been far too dangerous.
MARY:
It was terrible. Really terrible. And that big earthquake! That happened– right at the time– when Jesus – died. Peter, how- how could this happen?
PETER:
I don’t know. I did try to stop them from arresting Jesus. I did. I did whatever I could.
MARY:
You tried everything?
PETER:
When they came for Him, I grabbed a sword we had with us and cut off a man’s ear. But- Jesus told me to stop, and then He went and healed the man.
MARY:
Of course He did. But– but didn’t Jesus at least try to reason with them?
PETER:
There were too many – and– and– well – truthfully – I don’t know... I ran away, with the rest of the disciples.
MARY:
How could you just leave Him like that? You KNEW they wanted to kill Him. How could you-
PETER:
I don’t know. But I returned to follow after the crowds as they took Jesus to the high priest’s courtyard. I thought maybe I could do something at that point. But I saw the way they were treating Him. Spitting in His face, slapping and beating Him with their fists. Mocking Him. At one point, they covered His eyes, and took turns hitting Him, while saying things like, “Prophesy and tell us who hit You.” The people were so- angry and riled up. I feared for my own life. The entire trial was a complete fiasco. And so-called witnesses were coming forward and outright lying.
MARY:
You could have been a witness. You could have told them the truth. Why didn’t you step forward?
PETER:
When people starting to recognize me, I couldn’t even admit that I knew Him, even though I swore to Jesus that I would follow Him and even die for Him... Instead, I– I denied Him. Three times... just as He said I would...
MARY:
The crowds WERE in a frenzy.
PETER:
The Pharisees stirred up the people against Jesus. Imagine, the people preferred to have a notorious criminal like Barabbas released instead of Jesus. There was nothing I could have done with everyone so worked up.
MARY:
Us women followed later, trying to keep to the shadows. Jesus was so well guarded. The high priests made sure of it. Did they think Jesus would suddenly escape?
(spreading hands out in question)
He could barely walk, and yet they made Him carry His own cross. And not one of us stepped forward to help. And then, at one point, Jesus looked up at us, and told us not to cry for Him, but instead, we should be crying for ourselves and our children. What do you think He meant by that?
PETER:
I do not know.
MARY:
How could we NOT cry for Him – as He struggled along in so much pain? Eventually they became impatient and made a bystander carry the cross. It was just too much for Jesus. His robe– His whole body was- so bruised and blood-soaked. The pain He must have had from the 40 lashes-
PETER:
The barbs would have torn away at His flesh...
MARY:
And the thorns they put on His head.
(shaking her head)
And, then there were some people just going about their daily business like nothing unusual was happening - selling their wares to take advantage of the crowds- oblivious to the injustice. And He did nothing wrong! How could people not see the injustice?! Jesus was nailed to a cross, like some common criminal!
PETER:
I think I’m just as guilty. It’s like, I put the nails into His flesh.
MARY:
I could not watch. And once when I DID look up- there was just a moment when He looked at me. Even though He hung there, gasping to breathe - He seemed to look right at me, into my very soul. I felt like I died with Him. And on some level, I know that it SHOULD have been me on that cross instead. I am deserving of death – not Jesus, the Son of God – who loved and healed people –
PETER:
The One who controlled even the winds and the sea-
MARY:
Then WHY did He just ALLOW us to put Him to death? What was He thinking? I don’t understand.
PETER:
I certainly did not want to see Him die. WHAT is so wrong with thinking that? But Jesus kept rebuking me for saying so. I always tell myself that I mean well. But who am I kidding? I don’t have control - of my OWN actions, how did I ever think - I could control the world around me and stop Jesus’ death?... Well, it’s over.
MARY:
Are you sure? Perhaps –
PETER:
No, they made very sure that He was dead. I hear that they pierced His side, and that there was water already in the blood. That’s solid proof. Nothing more can be done now.
MARY:
Then, I will join the others to prepare the spices for His burial. Stay safe.
(PETER and MARY sadly exit, each to their side.)
.....use in address bar: churchskits.blogspot.com
(Part 1 of a 2 part series. The sequel, “Reactions to the Resurrection”, can be done the same day or on Easter.)
STYLE:
Drama. (4 pages)
PREMISE:
Mary and Peter compare their reactions to Jesus’ Crucifixion which demonstrates their lack of faith.
TOPIC:
crucifixion, faith.
SCRIPTURE:
Mt.26-28, Mk.14-16, Lk.22-24, Jh.18-21.
CHARACTERS (LINE COUNT) DESCRIPTION:
(14) MARY MAGDALENE – woman, new convert
(14) PETER - disciple
PROPS:
Bible era costumes.
SCRIPT:
(Mary and Peter step out on opposite sides and speak to each other, but look out to the congregation only.)
PETER:
Mary of Magdalene!? Mary!
MARY:
Peter!
PETER:
I’ve been looking for– well- for any familiar face. I just need to know what all happened. I would have been there, you know, but, it would have been far too dangerous.
MARY:
It was terrible. Really terrible. And that big earthquake! That happened– right at the time– when Jesus – died. Peter, how- how could this happen?
PETER:
I don’t know. I did try to stop them from arresting Jesus. I did. I did whatever I could.
MARY:
You tried everything?
PETER:
When they came for Him, I grabbed a sword we had with us and cut off a man’s ear. But- Jesus told me to stop, and then He went and healed the man.
MARY:
Of course He did. But– but didn’t Jesus at least try to reason with them?
PETER:
There were too many – and– and– well – truthfully – I don’t know... I ran away, with the rest of the disciples.
MARY:
How could you just leave Him like that? You KNEW they wanted to kill Him. How could you-
PETER:
I don’t know. But I returned to follow after the crowds as they took Jesus to the high priest’s courtyard. I thought maybe I could do something at that point. But I saw the way they were treating Him. Spitting in His face, slapping and beating Him with their fists. Mocking Him. At one point, they covered His eyes, and took turns hitting Him, while saying things like, “Prophesy and tell us who hit You.” The people were so- angry and riled up. I feared for my own life. The entire trial was a complete fiasco. And so-called witnesses were coming forward and outright lying.
MARY:
You could have been a witness. You could have told them the truth. Why didn’t you step forward?
PETER:
When people starting to recognize me, I couldn’t even admit that I knew Him, even though I swore to Jesus that I would follow Him and even die for Him... Instead, I– I denied Him. Three times... just as He said I would...
MARY:
The crowds WERE in a frenzy.
PETER:
The Pharisees stirred up the people against Jesus. Imagine, the people preferred to have a notorious criminal like Barabbas released instead of Jesus. There was nothing I could have done with everyone so worked up.
MARY:
Us women followed later, trying to keep to the shadows. Jesus was so well guarded. The high priests made sure of it. Did they think Jesus would suddenly escape?
(spreading hands out in question)
He could barely walk, and yet they made Him carry His own cross. And not one of us stepped forward to help. And then, at one point, Jesus looked up at us, and told us not to cry for Him, but instead, we should be crying for ourselves and our children. What do you think He meant by that?
PETER:
I do not know.
MARY:
How could we NOT cry for Him – as He struggled along in so much pain? Eventually they became impatient and made a bystander carry the cross. It was just too much for Jesus. His robe– His whole body was- so bruised and blood-soaked. The pain He must have had from the 40 lashes-
PETER:
The barbs would have torn away at His flesh...
MARY:
And the thorns they put on His head.
(shaking her head)
And, then there were some people just going about their daily business like nothing unusual was happening - selling their wares to take advantage of the crowds- oblivious to the injustice. And He did nothing wrong! How could people not see the injustice?! Jesus was nailed to a cross, like some common criminal!
PETER:
I think I’m just as guilty. It’s like, I put the nails into His flesh.
MARY:
I could not watch. And once when I DID look up- there was just a moment when He looked at me. Even though He hung there, gasping to breathe - He seemed to look right at me, into my very soul. I felt like I died with Him. And on some level, I know that it SHOULD have been me on that cross instead. I am deserving of death – not Jesus, the Son of God – who loved and healed people –
PETER:
The One who controlled even the winds and the sea-
MARY:
Then WHY did He just ALLOW us to put Him to death? What was He thinking? I don’t understand.
PETER:
I certainly did not want to see Him die. WHAT is so wrong with thinking that? But Jesus kept rebuking me for saying so. I always tell myself that I mean well. But who am I kidding? I don’t have control - of my OWN actions, how did I ever think - I could control the world around me and stop Jesus’ death?... Well, it’s over.
MARY:
Are you sure? Perhaps –
PETER:
No, they made very sure that He was dead. I hear that they pierced His side, and that there was water already in the blood. That’s solid proof. Nothing more can be done now.
MARY:
Then, I will join the others to prepare the spices for His burial. Stay safe.
(PETER and MARY sadly exit, each to their side.)
Comments
Post a Comment